"If you want to be a self reliant person, a responsible member of your family and your country as well as a respected personality of your society, you have only one alternative that is you must have utilitarian education for economic emancipation." It is the massage for the students from Professor Dr. Abdul Mannan Choudhury, the current vice chancellor of the World University of Bangladesh (WUB).
Professor Dr. Abdul Mannan Choudhury, an alternative name of "Live defender" served in several universities including the
Professor Choudhury was born in a successful family in Comilla district of Bangladesh. He passed his education life in Comilla, Dhaka,
As said earlier, Professor Dr. Abdul Mannan Choudhury has been serving as Vice- Chancellor in the World University of Bangladesh (WUB). It is one of the most popular and leading universities for utilitarian education in
Earlier Career of the ‘Live Defender’ Abdul Mannan Choudhury:
Dr. Choudhury has a strong background. He is not only a professor or freedom fighter but a strong part of the history of
Following Suhrawardy's death in 1963, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman came as the head of the Awami League, which became one of the largest political parties in
Dr. Abdul Mannan Choudhury was a strong supporter of these six points´ movements. On the 7th June 1966, the day of hartal, young Choudhury while picketing in front of the juncture of old high court and the Curzon Hall of Dhaka University was shot point blank but he somehow survived He was also involved in eleven point movements in 1969. In order to realize the eleven point demands and to protest against the repressive measures upon the student-masses by the Police and EPR and against the violation of the sanctity of the University, the Central Student Action Committee, from a meeting held at Dhaka University Battala on 17th January 1969 called for a complete strike in all the educational institutions of East Pakistan as from 20th January, 1969. To face the situation, the government imposed Section 144 prohibiting the assembly of more than four persons in any public place. Disregarding the imposition of this section 144, the students of the
Dr. Choudhury was also a valiant freedom fighter and earlier organizer. According to a book by Tikka Khan and as per statement of journal and newspaper of that time, Dr. Choudhury was a trainer of 1971 liberation war. He composed and read out the resolution for
Mujib Bahini or Bangladesh Liberation Force (BLF) was part of Bangladesh Mukti Bahini, a guerrilla force fighting against
From 1992, Mr. Choudhury was the Member-Secretary of the Coordination Committee for the Trial of the Killers and Collaborators of 1971, and closely worked with Shaheed Janoni Jahanara Imam.
In personal life, Professor Dr. Abdul Mannan Choudhury is very satisfied individual. He is happily married to Mrs. Morsheda Choudhury who has been holding the position of Treasurer at WUB, since 27 July, 2003.They are blessed with three sons-one of whom one is an Assistant Professor in Dhaka University; the second one is a physician in one the leading hospitals in Singapore; and the last son is a 4th year student in Dhaka University. However, as a freedom fighter he had dream of serving the nation at a better position.
Professor Dr. Abdul Mannan Choudhury’s life at a glance:
1. Had a first class academic career even though he was involved in Education movements of 1962, Comilla University Establishment Movement of 1963, Six point Movement of 1966 (he was almost annihilated by point blank police fire while he was picketing on 7th June hartal in front of the old high court and Curzon hall juncture).
2. Elected member of the F. H. Hall Students Union.
3. Served as Secretary of the Commerce Association of
4. Literary Secretary, General Secretary and President of the Shilpo-O- Sahitya Sangha consecutively.
5. Participated as an activist in the Eleven points Program of the Students Action Committee, 1969;
6 .Raised and read out the Resolution for
7. Was one of the 128 signatories to press demand for stopping genocide in
8. Editor of "Weekly
9. Trainer of liberation war, 1971.
10. Was Deputy Commander and Commander for short period of Mujub Bahini, Eastern Command (Bangladesh Liberation Front,) 1971;Coordinator on behalf of Mujib Bahini in the Joint Command.
11. Participated in restoration of Civil Administration at Comilla on 9th December 1971;
12. Lecturer (Before the start of liberation war) to Professor,
13. Academic Dean and Head of Department of a faculty and a department of Bayero University Kano, Nigeria.
14. Member-Secretary, Co-ordination Committee for the Trial of the Killers and collaborators of 1971.
15. Vice- Chancellor, World University of Bangladesh (WUB) at present.
16. Advisor of the Honourable Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to the Jatiyo Muktijodda Council (at present)
· Director, MBA (Regular), HRM Program,
· Director, Evening MBA Program,
· Member, Evening MBA Program,
· Chairman, Centre for Development and Institutional Studies,
· Proctor, University of Dhaka, 1987-89.
· Provost, Sir Salimullah Hall,
· Chairperson, Department of Management,
· Senate Member,
· Chairman, National Institute of Business Administration & Information Science
· Editor, Journal of Business Studies, Faculty of Business Studies, University of
· Deputy Dean (Academic Dean) in
· Senate Member twice in Bayero University Kano, Nigeria. 1982-1984.
· Member, Editorial Board, Social Science Research Paper,
· President, National Management Association,
· Member, Finance Committee,
· Member, National Board of Drugs and Narcotics, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of
· Member, Prison Reforms Committee, Ministry of Social Welfare, Government of
· Chairman, Bangladesh Commerce Bank Ltd. 1998
· Chairman, Several Educational Institutions and Non-Profit Making Organizations.
· Member, Library Committee,
About Author Hasanuzzaman Talukdar Shemul:
Hasanuzzaman Talukdar Shemul was born in 1989 in a prosperous family in
He completed his school graduation (HSC) from
He is a good science fiction writer and also a wikiholic. He was an editor of a monthly youth magazine the monthly "Protishurity" during his school life in
He is a new and very young columnist of the American Chronicle, Rant
Hasanuzzaman Talukder Shimul has a keen interest in South Asian affairs of different regional and development issues. He is very much enthusiastic to work on the issues of climate change, global warming and preventing regional environmental degradation.